Energy Saving Ideas For Your Home
Making a few small changes in your home could help you cut your energy bills
Switch Your Energy Supplier
One of the easiest ways to save money on your fuel bill is to check if you are on the cheapest tariff available to you. If you are not you should consider changing your energy supplier. The easiest way to find out about the best deals available is to go online and check out some comparison web sites. You can also contact the fuel suppliers directly.
Questions you should ask before your switch
- How much will I pay per unit?
- Is there a standing charge?
- How can I pay my bills?
- Is there a discount if I switch my gas and electricity supply?
- What is the cost per unit?
- Is there a cancellation charge?
- Is there likely to be any increase in the future?
Simple and Quick Energy Saving Ideas
- Hang washing out to dry rather than use the tumble drier
- Do not over fill your kettle - boil only the amount you need
- Try turning your room thermostat down by around 1 degree as this could save you up to 10% on your heating bill
- Use low energy light bulbs
- Try taking a shower instead if a bath as this uses less than half the hot water
- Make sure your taps are turned off as a dripping hot tap is wasting hot water
Turn off your appliances at the wall and do not leave them on standby
- Close your curtains at dusk
- Set your hot water storage cylinder to 60 degrees Celsius
- If you have a hot water storage tank make sure it is insulated
- Switch off lights when you are not in the room
- Cook with your microwave
- Keep lids on the pans when cooking
- If you have a fan oven always choose the fan setting
- Make better use of the natural light, keep windows clean and clear of large ornaments or creeping plants
Also see our other Tenant Information